Monday, April 9, 2012

Chocolate Tiramisu Cake


Are you a coffee fiend?

I think the deeper you get into college and work, you start to live off of it. My parents never let me have coffee when I was little, so of course when I started living on my own, I went coffee crazy. Now I'm one of those strange people who wake up early and show up with rumpled clothes and hair at my local Starbucks- I've become a coffee shop skulker!

So naturally, now that I've gotten a taste, I have to have it in everything!

My friend Ange and I (my baking buddy), decided to try this recipe to make a delicious chocolate tiramisu cake. It was really really easy, and we had a lot of fun. Not to mention, the cake turned out fantastic! So chocolatey!


You'll Need

1 Package Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 package of Cream Cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate morsels grated
1/2 cup dark granulated coffee
1 container of cream

Trust me, this recipe is the easiest ever!

Just bake the Devil's Food Cake in the oven, in a circular pan.

We decided to make our own whip cream frosting while it was baking, instead of using the store bought kind. Pretty much all you have to do to make it, is take powdered sugar and mix it together in a mixer with heavy cream until it starts to firm up a bit. And there you go!

When the cake is finished baking and has cooled, use a long knife to trim off the top of the cake, and then cut the cake horizontally in half. Remove the top layer and set it aside for a bit.

To make the filling, is pretty similar to the whipped topping. Just combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, sour cream, and rum extract. Pour in just a bit of the whipped topping you made earlier and leave the rest alone for later, so you can garnish your cake and make it pretty.

In a separate bowl combine sugar, coffee, and boiling water, and stir stir stir until it's completely dissolved! Then take a pastry brush, or meat brush (we didn't have a fancy pastry brush, so we used what we had), and brush half of the coffee mix on the bottom cake layer. Then layer on the cream cheese frosting.

Carefully put the top of the cake back on and repeat this process on the new layer.

Finally! You're almost done! Now, just to make it pretty, use a cheese grater to make chocolate shavings, pipe on the frosting to make it pretty and hooray!

You've got a delicious chocolate coffee treat!


Now serve it to all of your friends and make them jealous!

You deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment